Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Rundown- Kindergarten & Harvest

Happy Monday, folks! Hope this past week was awesome for you! We had our ups and downs, but for the most part it was a great week.

We finally got our Kindergarten homeschool curriculum from Oak Meadow and today is our first day of Kingergarten at our Camper Roamschool. I spent most of the past week working on lesson plans and questioning whether or not I'd be able to actually do this homeschool thing. We've been using Oak Meadow's Preschool curriculum for a while now, but it is mostly play and rhythm based. This is the first year we've done anything academic, so I'm a little nervous, but ready to start.

Last Wednesday we had our first negative experience related to being here in North Dakota and living in a camper. In preparation for our homeschool studies we tried to get a library card. It turns out that the qualifications to get a library card in both New Town and Parshall are so stringent that, because we live in a camper, we can't ever meet them. I understand their rationale, but it's still a bummer and it's the first time I've actually felt unwelcome here. But, instead of dwelling on this let down, I am going to try to turn it into something positive and see if I can create a Little Free Library here at the camper lot. Wish me luck!

Thursday marked the start of the harvest season with the first harvest of the three harvest festivals, Lammas (Lughnasadh, Loaf-Mass or whatever your bent may be). Will and I celebrated my making corn dolls and braided bread.

Although the rolling pin was not necessary, Will really wanted to use it!

Ready to go into the oven

Looking lovely just out of the oven


 I also attempted to utilize the wheat from the field behind us to make a braided wheat decoration. Turns out I'm not so great at braiding wheat, so I settled for twisting it instead. It turned out okay, I guess. I may try again later, but for now I'm satisfied with the results.



Friday and Saturday were spent doing cleaning and shopping. I love taking a day just to go into Minot and do the shopping, but I sure am tired by the time we get home.

Sunday I sent Will and Jacob out to have some father/son time. With Jacob being gone for the better part of the past year it's been a while since they've spent some time together and although it meant that we are going another week without finishing the sewer line, I think it was well worth it. They got to spend a little bit of time swimming in Lake Sakakawea despite the cold temperatures. Apparently, the locals were looking at them like they'd lost their minds, but they had fun all the same. Then they went on a nature walk and brought me back some leaves and rocks for our nature shelf and even some lovely flowers for our table.



Now it's time to start our day, so I'm off! Hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment